Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reflection for February 11, 2009

The place I want to get back to
(by Mary Oliver in Thirst, 2006)

is where
   in the pinewoods
      in the moments between the darkness

and first light
   two deer
      came walking
         down the hill
            and when they saw me

they said to each other, okay,
   this one is okay
      let's see who she is
         and why she is sitting

on the ground, like that,
   so quiet, as if
      asleep, or in a dream,
         but anyway, harmless;

and so they came
   on their slender legs
      and gazed upon me
         not unlike the way

I got out to the dunes and look
   and look and look
      into the faces of the flowers;
         and then one of them leaned forward

and muzzled my hand and what can my life
   bring to me that could exceed
      that brief moment?
         For twenty years

I have gone every day to the same woods.
   not waiting, exactly, just lingering.
      Such gifts, bestowed, can't be repeated

If you want to talk about this
   come to visit. I live in the house
      near the corner, which I have named
         Gratitude.