Saturday, December 17, 2011

Reflection for December 14, 2011



Isaiah 46: 25: In the Lord shall be the vindication and the glory of all the descendents of Israel.


THE INCARNATION

Now that the time had come when it would be good

To ransom the bride serving under the hard yoke

Of that law which Moses had given her,

The Father, with tender love, spoke in this way:

Now You see Son, that your bride was made in Your image,

And so far as she is like You, she will suit you well;

Yet she is different in her flesh which Your simple being does not have.

In perfect love, this law holds:

That the lover become like the one he loves;

For the greater their likeness the greater their delight.

Surely your bride’s delight would greatly increase

Were she to see You like her, in her own flesh.

My will is Yours, the Son replied,

and My glory is that Your will be mine.

This is fitting, Father, what You, the Most High, say;

For in this way, Your goodness will be the more seen.

Your great power will be seen and Your justice and wisdom.

I will go and tell the world

Spreading the word of Your beauty and sweetness

And of Your sovereignty.

I will go and seek My bride and take upon Myself

Her weariness and labors in which she suffers so;

And that she may have life, I will die for her,

And, lifting her out of that deep, I will restore her to You.

St. John of the Cross