Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Reflection for June 16, 2010


Holy as a Day is Spent

Holy is the dish and drain

The soap and sink, and the cup and plate

Warm wool socks, the cold white tile

Showerheads and good dry towels

And frying eggs sound like psalms

With bits of salt measured in my palm

It’s all a part of a sacrament

As holy as a day is spent


Holy is the busy street

And cars that boom with passion’s beat

And the checkout girl counting change

The hands that shook my hands today

And hymns of geese fly overhead

And spread their wings like their parents did.

Blessed be the dog, that runs in her sleep

To chase some wild, elusive thing


Holy is the familiar room

The quiet moments in the afternoon

And folding sheets like folding hands

To pray as only laundry can

I’m letting go of all I fear

Like autumn leaves made of earth and air.

For the summer came and the summer went

As holy as the day is spent


Holy is the place I stand

To give whatever small good I can

The empty page, the open book

Redemption everywhere I look

Unknowingly we slow our pace

In the shade of unexpected grace

And with grateful smiles and sad lament

As holy as the day is spent

And morning light sings “Providence”

As holy as a day is spent


-Carrie Newcomer

(From the CD: A Gathering of Spirits)